Building resilience and life skills on rocky trails!
This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme, sponsored by Marzocchi and Sendy Gear and endorsed by AusCycling.
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Queensland Schools, the Rocky Trail Academy is heading north to Central QLD for the first time in Rockhampton. Bringing together students from all over QLD we are super proud and excited to encourage more students and schools to come and enjoy a great day on bikes in Rocky trails. The Academy launches the weekend of racing with the Fox Superflow scheduled for Saturday and Sunday. If you love mountain biking, the trails at First Turkey are a must. Tell your cohort of students as registration will stay open until race start.
New to Academy racing? Check out the Event Guide for everything you need to know. Jump on our Venue Guide for location and parking info. Hit the Track Guide for info on all the tracks. Our team has been on-site and have provided some more information about the race day – scroll down for the detailed Rider Briefing.
Key things to remember:
- EVENT FORMAT: 3 timed race tracks from 9am – 1:30pm offering a balanced skillset challenge and a rewarding experience for all – from “park rats” to inexperienced riders and already racing kids. Competition will consist of 3 timed stages and neutral liaison rides: Endurance, Speed and Technical Skills.
- Important: riders may sign up individually, you don’t have to be part of a school team. You can nominate a school when you register, to collect points for a “Champion School Ranking.”
- Prizes will be awarded for the top 3 riders in each category, and Champions school.
Event services and facilities:
- German Street Park is the home to the Event Hub. Ample room for school buses and marquee’s
- Local food vendor – Spuds to Go will be on site providing all the snacks and lunch time needs. Please support the businesses that support our events.’
- Grab a coffee from a local shop before arriving as we have no hot drink vendor on site
- Need bike parts – the local team from Giant Rockhampton have supplied some last minute emergency items to the Rocky Trail team. Please check your bike before arriving on the day. Tubes and parts available for sale at the rego tent.
- Official Event Photographer will be on the STANS track.
Perfect Central QLD weather – clear skies low of 12c with a high of 27c. Today tracking marking was a little humid.
We encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, or register via https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ and we will create a roster on the day. Bring a chair, jumper and sunscreen, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors! DONT FORGET YOUR BIKE IF YOU RIDE!
Marshall spots on course can be found on the track map.
First Turkey MTB Park, 249 German St, Norman Gardens QLD 4701, Australia
- Ample on site parking – look for the Flags and drive into the large grass area. Do not park in the residential streets!
Recycle – Reduce Waste
Rocky Trail is committed to reduce land waste from events. We ask all participants to take home your waste and sort into your household bins. Limited bins will be on site.
Race Course Description:
- FOX – The Pedal. “Bush Chook Donut” will provide the test of pedaling. 1.2km up and down a vertical change of only 25 meters.
- STAN – The Technical. “Scrub Turkey” is one of the originals has some off camber corners, drops and rocky section. 1.5km and drops 100m
- LAZER – The Speed. “Whip Snake” is a fun bermed track where the winner will be the rider than maintains speed. 1.4km and drops 70m
Note – riders will need to liaise to the track starts by riding. Liaisons will be marked. No self-shuttling allowed. LIASONS ARE TWO WAY RIDING.
Schedule for the day:
- 7.30am – Registration opens
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing
- 9.00am – All tracks open for racing
- 1.30pm – Last race run
- 1.45pm – Presentation
- 2.00pm – Event closed
- The tracks can be completed in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names are Fox/Stan/Lazer
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- To be in the results, each track has to be completed at least once!
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section completed, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Course marking is a combination of Orange laminated A4 signs and Aus Cycling bunting tape.
- Liaison stages (=untimed “up” to start trails) are marked with “Neutral to Start” and arrows signage
- On track riders must stay within the designated trail and are not allowed to cross bunting tape.
- Riders who are seen to shortcut race tracks will have timed runs removed from the result.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
Event Photos – Keen for a photo? THE STANS TRACK IS THE NOMINATED SPOT FOR THE DAY
Official photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school. You will receive an email after the race with the direct download link; click below for the photo portal where the photos will be available:
About the Rocky Trail Academy Schools events
This popular schools comp with timed sections and multiple runs provides a fun racing experience for the next generations of mountain bikers. The Queensland season is POPULAR! Register NOW for our other events as we have a standard cap of 300 per venue.
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris and Jo Parker, our National Event Managers, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. Jo Parker, strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes.
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Rocky Trail Merchandise
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- New in: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $20
- Mudguards $20
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Rocky Trail Rewards – dont forget check out our the cool reward discounts from our sponsors
Shout-out to our main sponsors
Marzocchi suspension forks are a reliable and cost-effective option for those looking to upgrade their mountain bike’s suspension. With their simple design and easy-to-follow setup instructions, even novice riders can quickly and easily tune their suspension to their liking. Additionally, Marzocchi forks are known for their durability and require minimal maintenance, making them an excellent choice for riders who want to spend more time on the trails and less time in the garage. Overall, Marzocchi suspension forks offer great value for their performance, ease of use, and low maintenance requirements. Find out more…
Sendy Gear is such a great fit with the programme because this is kid-specific mountain bike gear that is built tough and technical enough to endure all-mountain conditions, for kids who love to send it… just like our Rocky Trail shredders.
Sendy Gear is native to Australia’s Snowy Mountains and they’ve taken taken inspiration from their environment so that the designs are always on-point, pure and practical.
Did you know they also do custom-gear – get in touch with their team for information about school-specific garments. Find out more…
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)
See you soon.