Building resilience and life skills on rocky trails!
This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme, sponsored by Marzocchi and Sendy Gear and endorsed by AusCycling.
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
Read the full rider brief information below.
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Rocky Trail Academy is back in the beautiful Yarra Ranges region and we can’t wait to send our junior shredders out on the trails at Silvan MTB Park!
New to Academy racing? Check out the Event Guide for everything you need to know. Jump on our Venue Guide for location and parking info. Hit the Track Guide for info on all the tracks. Our team has been on-site and have provided some more information about the race day – scroll down for the detailed Rider Briefing.
Key things to remember:
- EVENT FORMAT: 3 timed race tracks from 9am – 1:30pm offering a balanced skillset challenge and a rewarding experience for all – from “park rats” to inexperienced riders and already racing kids. Competition will consist of 3 timed stages and neutral liaison rides: Endurance, Speed and Technical Skills. Parent and teacher marshalling and volunteering welcome! Please see Jo at registration to offer your assistance.
- Important: riders may sign up individually, you don’t have to be part of a school team. You can nominate a school when you register, however, to collect points for a “Champion School Ranking.”
- Prizes will be awarded for the top 3 riders in each category, and Champions school.
Event services and facilities:
- Great news we have secured a Coffee and Food Vendor. Please support the businesses that support our events.
- Its time for Coffee
- Dumpling Van and Crispy potatoes
- Come prepared as we have no official bike support on site. Please bring your own spare tubes and tools to keep your wheels rolling. The registration tent may have some emergency supplies available if needed.
- No water on site – please bring sufficient personnel supply
- School marquees are welcome to be setup in the Event Hub area. Please ensure you bring weights to secure as the area is well known for high winds.
- Two unisex toilets are available on site.
Good news sunny skies. Warming up from 12c to 29c
We encourage volunteering and we need your help!- parent/teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, or register via https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ and we will create a roster on the day. Bring a chair, jumper and sunscreen, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
We are thrilled to announce that this year, we have been granted a special exemption to host our event within the breathtaking National Park. This unique opportunity allows us to celebrate in the heart of nature’s beauty. However, it comes with a responsibility to protect the park’s wildlife and natural environment.
To ensure the success of our event and the preservation of this pristine area, we kindly request that all participants adhere to the following permit conditions:
- No Dogs Are Allowed on Site: In accordance with park regulations, please leave your furry companions at home or make arrangements for their care outside the event area. This policy is in place to protect both wildlife and ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all attendees.
- Leave No Trace: We are committed to the “Leave No Trace” principles, which emphasize responsible outdoor ethics. Please join us in maintaining the park’s natural beauty.
LOCATION and PARKING
- Event Registration and Hub will be located within the Silvan Mountain Bike Park on the fire break either sides of Track 13 approximately 500m from the turn off Olinda Creek Rd.
- Parking: will be approximately 300m from the entrance off Olinda Creek Rd.
- Traffic: Caution should be taken turning off Olinda Creek Rd into track 13. A parking marshal will be at the turn off to assist with parking.
- If your attending in a bus or vehicle with trailer please contact email@example.com so we can allocate enough space. Limited turning circle on site.
If you’re new to Rocky Trail and Rocky Trail Academy racing – welcome – and if you are one of our seasoned #rockytrailracers, thrilled to have you at the start line! We launched a brand-new website for the Academy events and it has all the important info in a new Venue Guide Section on each event page. From now on, this is where we will drop all the race-specific info:
Race Course Description:
- Fox – Speed test will be FOX track – “Temple of Zoom”, is an awesome track that has every flow element a riders could ask for. Winner on this track will be the one who can maintain speed. 1.5km long and drops 140m
- Stans – Pedal test will be STANS – A new adventure track near the Event Hub. Single track approx 800m long
- Lazer -The technical track will be LAZER – “Downhill No.4” this classic track has fast bermed and flat corners, roots, logs and rock drops. Staying fast here will require technical skill. 1.1km long and drops 120m
Note – riders will need to liaise to the track starts by riding. Liaisons will be marked. No self-shuttling allowed.
Schedule for the day:
- 7.30am – Registration opens
- 8.45am – Rider call up – compulsory safety briefing
- 9.00am – All tracks open for racing
- 1.30pm – Last race run
- 1.45pm – Presentation
- 2.00pm – Event closed
- This round has THREE tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names are Fox/Stan/Lazer.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- To be in the results, each track has to be completed at least once.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section completed, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Course marking is a combination of Orange laminated A4 signs and Aus Cycling bunting tape.
- Liaison stages (=untimed “up” to start trails) are marked with “Neutral to Start” and arrows signage
- On track riders must stay within the designated trail and are not allowed to cross bunting tape.
- Riders who are seen to shortcut race tracks will have timed runs removed from the result.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
Event Photos – LAZER track is the place to get that cool photo !
Official photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
What else is happening at Silvan this weekend?
You pick your race day Saturday or Sunday – join in the action with an exciting gravity smashfest, challenging enduro liason climbs, and beautiful nature all around.
Format = 3 stages, 5 race runs possible on each, fastest on each counts – times are combined for the results! Elite racer, grom or noob, any age, will have a blast: there are no harsh cut-off times or start orders, which means whatever category you’re in, you can ride together and each lock your own best race run in!
About the Rocky Trail Academy Schools events
This popular schools comp with timed sections and multiple runs provides a fun racing experience for the next generations of mountain bikers. The Queensland season of Academies has been huge with over 300+ riders at each round and we are hoping to create this experience for VIC students and schools in the future. Chat to Jo at rego if you are interested to have your school involved in the planning.
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris and Jo Parker, our National Event Managers, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. Jo Parker, strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes.
We have already started planning 2024 and guarantee more school events for more students and schools. Subscribe now to our newsletter to stay up to date with all of our announcements.
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Rocky Trail Merchandise
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- Limited stock: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $20
- Mudguards $20
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Shout-out to our main sponsors
Marzocchi suspension forks are a reliable and cost-effective option for those looking to upgrade their mountain bike’s suspension. With their simple design and easy-to-follow setup instructions, even novice riders can quickly and easily tune their suspension to their liking. Additionally, Marzocchi forks are known for their durability and require minimal maintenance, making them an excellent choice for riders who want to spend more time on the trails and less time in the garage. Overall, Marzocchi suspension forks offer great value for their performance, ease of use, and low maintenance requirements. Find out more…
Sendy Gear is such a great fit with the programme because this is kid-specific mountain bike gear that is built tough and technical enough to endure all-mountain conditions, for kids who love to send it… just like our Rocky Trail shredders.
Sendy Gear is native to Australia’s Snowy Mountains and they’ve taken taken inspiration from their environment so that the designs are always on-point, pure and practical.
Did you know they also do custom-gear – get in touch with their team for information about school-specific garments. Find out more…
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)
See you soon.