Building resilience and life skills on rocky trails!
This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme, sponsored by Marzocchi and Sendy Gear and endorsed by AusCycling.
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
read the full rider brief information below;
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Gippsland Schools, the Rocky Trail Academy is back in town and we can’t wait to send our junior shredders out on the trails at Haunted Hills MTB Park!
New to Academy racing? Check out the Event Guide for everything you need to know. Jump on our Venue Guide for location and parking info. Hit the Track Guide for info on all the tracks. Our team has been on-site and have provided some more information about the race day – scroll down for the detailed Rider Briefing.
Key things to remember:
- EVENT FORMAT: 3 timed race tracks from 9am – 1:30pm offering a balanced skillset challenge and a rewarding experience for all – from “park rats” to inexperienced riders and already racing kids. Competition will consist of 3 timed stages and neutral liaison rides: Endurance, Speed and Technical Skills. Parent and teacher marshalling and volunteering welcome! Please see Jo at registration to offer your assistance.
- Additional Primary Category: Our Gippsland schools comp is also one of our special rounds that includes all ages from years 5-12 so make sure you let everyone know!
- Important: riders may sign up individually, you don’t have to be part of a school team. You can nominate a school when you register, however, to collect points for a “Champion School Ranking.”
- Prizes will be awarded for the top 3 riders in each category, and Champions school.
Event services and facilities:
- Great news we have secured a Coffee & Food Vendor, Food Stop Van. Please support the businesses that support our events.
- Come prepared as we have no official bike support on site. Please bring your own spare tubes and tools to keep your wheels rolling. The registration tent may have some emergency supplies available if needed.
- School marquees are welcome to be setup in the Event Hub area. Please ensure you bring weights to secure as the area is well known for high winds.
- Two unisex toilets are available on site.
Good news sunny skies. A little chilly in the morning with a low of 4c to a high of 18c. Bring plenty of layers.
We encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, or register via https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ and we will create a roster on the day. Bring a chair, jumper and sunscreen, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
Venue and Entry – Haunted Hills Mountain Bike Park, Haunted Hills Road, Hernes Oak VIC, Australia
- Please follow the directions of event staff. The bike park, carpark will be a “drop off” zone only. Parking will be around the top of the park, entry near the council depot. Please follow the signs.
- Overflow parking will be in front of the cemetery.
- Please make sure your vehicle is parked considerately and does not impact access to the event center, cemetery, council depot, driveways or mountain bike trails.
- If your attending in a bus or vehicle with trailer please contact email@example.com so we can allocate enough space.
If you’re new to Rocky Trail and Rocky Trail Academy racing – welcome – and if you are one of our seasoned #rockytrailracers, thrilled to have you at the start line! We launched a brand-new website for the Academy events and it has all the important info in a new Venue Guide Section on each event page. From now on, this is where we will drop all the race-specific info:
Race Course Description:
- Fox – The pedal – Riders head up the Conveyor and then drop down the Ghost. 750m long and only 20m of climbing and descending.
- Stans – The tech – Hit the full length of Mad Cow. 820m long and 55m vertical.
- Lazer – The flow – Sharing the start with the STANS track riders will race the full length of the Turbine. 950m long and 50m vert”
Note – riders will need to liaise to the track starts by riding. Liaisons will be marked. No self-shuttling allowed.
Schedule for the day:
- 7.30am – Registration opens
- 8.45am – Rider call up – compulsory safety briefing
- 9.00am – All tracks open for racing
- 1.30pm – Last race run
- 1.45pm – Presentation
- 2.00pm – Event closed
- This round has THREE tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names are Fox/Stan/Lazer.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- To be in the results, each track has to be completed at least once.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section completed, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Course marking is a combination of Orange laminated A4 signs and Aus Cycling bunting tape.
- Liaison stages (=untimed “up” to start trails) are marked with “Neutral to Start” and arrows signage
- On track riders must stay within the designated trail and are not allowed to cross bunting tape.
- Riders who are seen to shortcut race tracks will have timed runs removed from the result.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
Event Photos – STAN’s track is place to get that cool photo !
Official photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
What else is on this weekend at Haunted Hills?
Saturday from Midday: Pumptrack Social Ride with Jayce Cunning
Calling all young shredders and families! Join us for an adrenaline-packed afternoon at the pump track with none other than Australian National Pump Track Champion, Jayce Cunning! 🏆 This fun social ride will be followed by Rocky Trail’s Pump & Flow Race.
Saturday from 3pm: Rocky Trail Pump(kin) & Flow
Saturday afternoon will bring some fast paced pump track action with the Rocky Trail Pump & Flow. The action starts from 3pm! Detailed schedule & rego online, $30 per rider. Race side-by-side and take on the Australian National Champ, Jayce Cunning!
Sunday: The NEW Shimano Grand Prix with 3 races in 1
We bring classic cross-country endurance lap racing to Haunted Hills, this year with a new format. There are 3 races in 1: Rocky Trail sets the lap numbers, you pick your race! Three lap-based distance challenges for junior and adult age-groups with a 4-hour limit: Hero (~75km), Adventure (~50km) and Challenge(~25km). eBikes welcome in the middle distance.
About the Rocky Trail Academy Schools events
This popular schools comp with timed sections and multiple runs provides a fun racing experience for the next generations of mountain bikers. The Queensland season of Academies has been huge with over 300+ riders at each round and we are hoping to create this experience for VIC students and schools in the future. Chat to Jo at rego if you are interested to have your school involved in the planning.
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris and Jo Parker, our National Event Managers, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. Jo Parker, strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes.
We have already started planning 2024 and guarantee more school events for more students and schools. Subscribe now to our newsletter to stay up to date with all of our announcements.
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Rocky Trail Merchandise
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- Limited stock: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $20
- Mudguards $20
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Shout-out to our main sponsors
Marzocchi suspension forks are a reliable and cost-effective option for those looking to upgrade their mountain bike’s suspension. With their simple design and easy-to-follow setup instructions, even novice riders can quickly and easily tune their suspension to their liking. Additionally, Marzocchi forks are known for their durability and require minimal maintenance, making them an excellent choice for riders who want to spend more time on the trails and less time in the garage. Overall, Marzocchi suspension forks offer great value for their performance, ease of use, and low maintenance requirements. Find out more…
Sendy Gear is such a great fit with the programme because this is kid-specific mountain bike gear that is built tough and technical enough to endure all-mountain conditions, for kids who love to send it… just like our Rocky Trail shredders.
Sendy Gear is native to Australia’s Snowy Mountains and they’ve taken taken inspiration from their environment so that the designs are always on-point, pure and practical.
Did you know they also do custom-gear – get in touch with their team for information about school-specific garments. Find out more…
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)
See you soon.